|Number||Name of Building||Description||References and notes||Category||Photographs (click for large version)|
|1||Parish church, Backbrae street||1816, additions and alterations 1832. Buttressed gothic nave, raised pointed finials, later chancel. Battlemented tower with clock.||"Scottish Post-reformation churches"||B|
|2||Old graveyard and watch house, Howe rd||Squat octagonal stone tower in corner of graveyard. Rusticated gate piers, ball finials||Plaque with inscriptions||B|
|3||Market Chambers Nos 6-10 Market Place||Constructed 1860 on site of old Barony Court House. Coursed sandstone, 2 storeys, 4 raised gothic gabled dormers, chimney gable to left, doors and several ground floor windows under dripmoulds||B|
|4||Pump, Market place||Dated 1869, with inscription||C|
|5||Market House, Market Place||Early 19th C stucco facade, 2 storeys, 3 grouped windows, centre door, ridge roof and stacks. To rear, centre projecting turret stair under pentice. At one time, said to have been inn.||Demolished||B|
|6||Nos 48 and 50 Market St||Late C18th, Harled, 2 storeys, 3 unevenly spaced windows, centre raised attic chimney gable||C|
|7||The Co-operative, 7 Market close||Panel on front is inscribed 1765/IM 2 storeys, large squared rubble, quoins, moulded eaves, ridge roof. ground floor shop front||Inv 254||C|
|8||Orange lodge, 9 Market close||176(3)? Three storeys||Demolished||B|
|9||Gospel hall, 11 Market close||stucco, 1 storey, early C19th. Above centre door is a reset carved stone belonging to an earlier building||Demolished
|10||Garrel Mill House Tak Ma Doon road||Late C17th Harled, 2 storeys, long range with cottage and coach house at far end under pentice. entrance has bowtell moulded architrave. On the south corner is a cubical sundial.||Inv 204||B|
|11||Garrel Mill||On opposite side of road to the Mill House. twin stone gables with waggon entrances||B|
|12||Colzium||Early C19th, traditional country mansion built close to the site of the Colzium castle, by the Edmonstones of Duntreath into whose hands the estate passed at the end of the C18th. Now a community centre and museum.||B|
|13||Main street, nos 55/63||
1904-5, George Hay architect. Art Nouveau influence. 3 storey red ashlar shop and tenement block; 5 windows wide, alternate splayed bays in cavetto recesses through upper two storeys. Main bracket cornice with pilaster treatment at ends. lst floor cornices with sinuous keyblock treatment, parapets with curved tops.
to original shop fronts, some engraved glass, doors with onion shaped
fanlights. Interior of No 55 retains original woodwork screens, stained
glass, light-fittings etc.
|Includes Imperio(?) restaurant||B|
|14||36-42 (even nos) Main street - White House building||
Probably late 19th century. 2 storeys, pair shops at ground now united but retaining unusually complete and high quality original shop fronts, each shop front 3-bay with central recessed doors large glass panes, original timber fascia boards; close door right; symmetrical above ground, polished ashlar, 4 bays (single inner, bipartite outer windows, all plate glass sashes) centre raised and gabled with apex stack, pair original pedimented bipartite dormers; slate roof, Rear elevation has pair piended bipartite dormers, wings, glazed gallery at 1st floor.
|Currently owned by Buildings Conservation trust - options for future use being examined urgently. Building has superb original interior shopfittings.|
|15||Brownville, Balmalloch rd with garden walls and gatepiers||Villa
dated 1878, shows influence of Alexander Thompson. 2 storey with large
and handsome belvedere; built on raised terrace. Now subdivided. square
on plan with asymmetrical elevations, service court with carriage house
adjoining at rear. Stugged, coursed grey ashlar with painted contrasting
dressings, base course, eaves course, bracketed eaves to slated piended
platform roof, shouldered corniced stacks with decorative cans. single
windows, stone mullioned, bipartites and tripartites, chamfered arrises,
plate glass sashes.
E (main entrance) elevation: 3 bay doorway set between 2 bays to right. 6 panelled door with fanlight, corniced doorpiece with keystone, and roundels in spandrels
S (Garden) elevation 2 broad bays; projecting mullioned bay to left through 2 floors, pedimented with dated crest. Shallow advanced rectangular bay at ground to right, bipartite above. Low cast iron balustrade to bays at 2nd floor.
W elevation: 3 bay, later door to centre, stair window above, leaded, cill dropped.
Belvedere: raised on platform of piended roof. Broad overhanging cornice carried on pilasters, with subsidiary pilastrade threaded through and carrying frieze with discs.
Gates to service court at rear, piend-roofed carriage house with modern garage addition.
Square rubble walls enclosing house and garden, with two pairs of gatepiers to E; main gates to S with pyramidal capped gatepiers and cast iron gates, later pedestrian gateway. service gates to N.
|Compares with villas at Winton avenue, Glasgow, and the villa areas of Pollokshaws and of Lenzie (some of these buildings apparently by the firm of Thomson and Turnbull) The belvedere was probably a roof-top billiard room.||B||
|16||30 Low Craigends, St Patrick's Roman Catholic Church||1964,
Gillespie, Kidd and Coia. rectangular plan, on sloping site, red brick
with flat steel-truss roof, copper clad, with deep eaves projecting at
45 degrees. Copper clad set-back zone between roof and head of brick
South (entrance) front: 6 vertical glazing bands set back from brick skin, that on right side set well back, bands of unequal widths. Small flat-roofed porch at left not on original drawing. triangular roof light above altar to right. east and west fronts plain with small inset two light window on west front at ground on left.
North front: Faces paved piazza with planting to all sides except north. vertical glazing strips towards right and at left inset as on south, pier to right with convex angles and large cross. To left of glazing strip projecting concrete corbel course with glazing inset within arches. upper part of wall in line with front face of corbel course, lower inset, to with small lean-to copper roofed porch with strip glazing at rear.
|RWKC Rogerson Jack Coia, his life and work, 1986, pp 79-80||A|