Logo of The BIG KIC

 

CLAN KICS 

KICS is a Registered Community Interest Company SCO 327566

 

        Home  Music  Comedy  Dance  Clan KICS  Crafts

 

 

Saturday 14th August, 2010, from 12 pm - 6pm

 

 

The Big Tent will host a re-launched Scottish Celidh Band competition - with bands from across Scotland competing for prize money in front of a celebrity panel of judges. And you, the audience are invited to get up and dance, enjoy the fun!

 

The  Clanranald Heritage Trail will provide an amazing walk through history in the Colzium woodland glades, with warriors and maidens, and there will be a fun fair, large craft market, model trains, and lots of other activities to enjoy.

 

In the evening, the Big Top will be the venue for our headline concert, featuring the amazing Salsa Celtica with outstanding young Gaelic musicians, Norrie MacIver and Ruari Sutherland in support.

 

    

Kelvin valley history - a brief gallop through the Last 2000 Years

(reproduced by kind permission of the Friends of Kelvin Valley Park)


CUTTING right through the centre of that narrow waist of land that divides the North Sea from the Atlantic Ocean and the Highlands from the Lowlands, the Kelvin Valley has often been at the crossroads of history. The Romans were the first to realise the Kelvin Valley’s strategic importance when they built the northern frontier of their empire along its southern slopes. During the dark ages the area was on the fiercely contested frontiers of the kingdoms that were to form Scotland; the Scots and Picts to the north, the Britons and the Angles to the south.

Medieval Times saw castles built and battles fought. The Civil Wars of Cromwell’s time witnessed the major battle of Kilsyth in 1646 between the Covenanters and the Royalists. When peace finally came after the defeat of Bonnie Prince Charlie, the valley became a great thoroughfare.

A new turnpike road, the Forth & Clyde Canal and new railways all connected the Kelvin Valley to the wider world. Industry took full advantage of these new connections. The Kelvin Valley became a great industrial centre, first for weaving then for the mining industry. Following the despair of pit and industry closures in the 1960’s, the valley has been reinventing itself again, rising from industrial dereliction to a green and welcoming place for locals and visitors alike.

The Romans


The Romans were the first to make a major mark on the localthe Romans in Scotland landscape with the construction of the impressive Antonine Wall. One of the best sections of the Wall dominates the southern side of the Kelvin Valley, giving the Romans commanding views over any potential attacking tribesmen. When Antoninus Pius became the new Roman emperor in AD 138 he decided to move the empire’s frontier further north from Hadrian’s Wall to the Forth & Clyde valley.

After defeating the north Britons in AD 142, the legionaries built a 60km (37mile) wall from Bo’ness on the Forth to Old Kilpatrick on the Clyde, the narrowest point of Britain. Built of turf on a stone base, the rampart was nearly 4.5m wide at the base and may have reached over 3m high, possibly with a timber palisade on top. The wall had a 12m wide, 3m or more deep ditch to the front, a military way to the rear, and a series of at least sixteen forts together with fortlets.

The forts themselves were impressive structures each with a headquarters building, commander’s house, barracks, stores and bathhouse. Life on the Wall must have been a bit cold for the garrison that included soldiers from the Rhineland and archers from Syria. But they were able to shrug off the winter blues in their heated bathhouses, enjoy a healthy diet and worship at their altars as well as dealing with the local citizenry. For a reason that is unclear, the Romans abandoned the Antonine Wall in the years following AD 158 retreating back to Hadrian’s Wall although the Antonine Wall was periodically reoccupied.    

The Romans built forts along the Wall at Westerwood, Croy Hill and Bar Hill. The best preserved of these is at Bar Hill where the headquarters building foundations and the bathhouse are well displayed by Historic Scotland. The Wall itself has virtually all disappeared above ground but the defensive ditch is still virtually continuous throughout the area with particularly fine stretches east of Dullatur, over Croy Hill and over Bar Hill. Almost the whole of this length can be walked using local footpaths and farm tracks and there are good views from many parts, in particular from Croy Hill and Bar Hill. Antonine wall

Historic Scotland are leading a bid for World Heritage Site status for the whole of the Antonine Wall. In 2007, the UK government submitted an application to UNESCO for the Antonine Wall to be made a World Heritage Site; the decision will be made in July 2008.

The proposal includes the whole of the Wall whether in towns or the countryside. The proposed World Heritage Site is surrounded , in the countryside, by buffer zones. The proposal is supported by Historic Scotland and by five local authorities along the line of the Antonine Wall, including North Lanarkshire and East Dunbartonshire Councils. World Heritage Site

Medieval times


Following the centuries of turbulent but unrecorded Dark Ages, by the 1200’s Norman families were building strongholds in the area. These were motte and bailey forts with a timber built castle standing on an artificial mound and a larger defended area called a bailey. One of these was built at Balcastle between Queenzieburn and Kilsyth and the other between Banton and Kilsyth. All that remains are the earthworks, but in the Carron Valley on the other side of the Kilsyth Hills a replica motte and bailey is being built by the Clanranald Trust.

Civil Wars


A couple of centuries later these were superseded by stronger stone built castles, one at Colzium and the other north of Kilsyth near Allanfauld. Today just a few remnants of masonry remain. The area was the scene of a major battle in 1645 between the Royalists under Montrose and the Covenanters under Baillie, around the area now occupied by Banton Loch. Local names such as Cavalry Park, Baggage Knowe, Bullet Knowes and Slaughter Howe commemorate the event. The bloody battle was won by the Royalists but they in turn were defeated by Cromwell’s forces in 1650, who blew up Kilsyth Castle in the process.

CLANRANALD

The Clanranald Trust is a charitable organisation that aims to raise awareness of Scottish history and culture at home and abroad through education and entertainment. Apart from filmwork, gala day band/ dance/ combat performances and corporate entertainment the Clan makes around 300 school visits a year, providing interactive sessions of all historical periods to all school groups. The Clan is constructing a replica 12th century medieval motte and bailey fort in the Carron Valley Forest which will be animated to serve as the primary education facility as well as a visitor attraction.

WANT TO KNOW MORE?
www.paperclip.org.uk./kilsythweb/history/kilsyth_scotland_history1.htm



Clanranald Trust for Scotland Address: 27 High Street, Kincardine, Alloa, FK10 4RJ E-mail: info@clanranald.org.uk
 Web-site: www.clanranald.org.uk
 Tel & Fax: 01259 731010

 HistoricScotland Web site: www.historic-scotland.gov.uk
 Address: Longmore House, Salisbury Place, Edinburgh, EH9 1SH

For more information see our website: www.kelvinvalleypark.info
See also: KELVIN VALLEY PARK PATH NETWORK leaflet In the Kelvin Valley Park area (see map)

 

 کارنیول festival فیسٹیول..mela میلہ

Please register now to receive news updates from KICS